Saturday, March 3, 2007

3/2/07 - Now for some lighter fare...

(To see the latest info on the Waterford, head here...)

I told Adam (Service Manager at the store) that I would lighten things up on my blog, per his suggestions, and talk more about my bikes. So, here's a little something about my main steed - my Waterford R-33.


I was one of the fortunate ones. I went to Waterford's factory in person to have my measurements taken and talk directly with Marc Muller, Waterford's legendary frame designer, about my desires for my new bike. It was quite an experience getting to sit across from Marc at his desk and hear his deep and relaxed voice roll out his first question: "So, what would you like us to build you?"


This is no doubt the most comfortable and efficient bike I've owned (Sorry, Trek, your carbon is good, but it just doesn't quite measure up...I still have one of your bikes though, so no hard feelings). It climbs and sprints with less effort and cruises like a La-Z-Boy. Marc Muller designed the S-3 tubeset that comprises this frame himself, and I must say he did a good job.

So, here's the current build:

Frame: Waterford R-33 TrueTemper S-3 steel w/ Alpha Q Pro Carbon/Ti fork; Group: Shimano Dura Ace 7700; Wheels: several - 1. Bontrager Race X Lite Aero, 2. Handbuilt Bontrager 445/Dura Ace hubs, or 3. Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 carbon clinchers (pictured); Support: Ritchey WCS Carbon Handlebar, WCS 4-Axis Stem and WCS Carbon Seatpost, Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow Saddle, Usually Michelin Pro 2 tires, Cane Creek S-8 Headset, Speedplay Zero SS CSC pedals.


For more pictures, go to Allegro Cycling's Custom Bike Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

All content - except where otherwise noted - copyright 2006 - 2013 Matthew Magee. Do not use without permission.

Google Analytics