Saturday, April 6, 2013

Paris-Roubaix: Where to watch...when you have no cable.

Photo: Steephill.tv
So we're cutting back in my home and we got rid of cable a few months ago; which - as a big sports nut - has been a little difficult for me. Luckily my money-saving strategy is not a unique one and there are many places out there to still get your sports fix.

It's a little more difficult for cycling; but possible none-the-less.

Steephill.tv has been my go-to for a few years now when I am away from a cable connection or our main TV is otherwise occupied (I am married with 3 boys; so I can't always have the TV...that's my reality).


Their UCI cycling coverage is excellent; providing links to many of the european broadcast streams. English-language broadcasts are often available; but occasionally you have to watch in another language - either because English isn't available or the stream is low-quality or otherwise unreliable (not Steephill's fault).

Broadcast schedules are included - so I'll commonly check in a day or two before the race to see when I need to tune in. Knowing this year's Roubaix course; I'll be getting online a little before 6:00 a.m. Pacific time so I can catch what is likely to be the winning move somewhere in the last 50 km.

This year's Paris-Roubaix will be no exception and I invite you to tune in with me as I enjoy the "Hell of the North" over a large cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal tomorrow morning.

Who has your vote? Cancellara's two crashes this week have him battered and bruised; but is he weakened? Taylor Phinney had a good showing last year and has good support from his team this year - not to mention two U23 Roubaix victories already in his palmares. VanSummeren, Gilbert, Hushovd, Boassen-Hagen, Devolder? Myriad others? It's going to be good!

Leave a comment with your favorites.

2 comments:

  1. Hey matt, man this post couldn't have been more timely! I'm sticking with my Garmin guys. I'll be there with coffee and oatmeal, also.

    On a side note, I had a police officer follow behind me to work the other morning, all 10 miles one way I ride every day, when I pulled into the parking lot at my job, he drove up along side and said, "Thank you, it isn't often I see a cyclist who knows how to ride the streets with traffic correctly." Made my day.

    Thanks

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam-

      Nice work. If you've been reading back through old posts you'll know that I'm a big proponent of riding respectably. Thanks for setting an example!

      Delete

Copyright

All content - except where otherwise noted - copyright 2006 - 2013 Matthew Magee. Do not use without permission.

Google Analytics